Subject: [Leica] R8 flash meter was Need Ring Light Flash
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@jnlcom.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 15:24:57 -0600

The R8 has ttl flash control with the metz flashes, and it also has ttl
flash metering of any flash plugged into its pc outlet.

This meter works in the spot mode and is IME very accurate, considering
it is a reflective meter and making adjustments for the subjects
reflective characteristics.

To utilize the TTL meter feature one simply puts the camera on "F" mode
and depress the aperture stop down lever.  This fires the flash.  The in
camera meter will then show if the exposure is over or under and by how
much, up to the limits of the internal meter (2 stops).  You then make
corrections with aperture and try again.

I tested my R8 flash meter against my Minolta AutoIVF and the readings
were bang on.

Martin V. Howard wrote

>I read somewhere that the R8 has a "built-in flashmeter", but doesn't
>have TTL-flash metering.  Can anyone comment on this?  Sounds very odd
>to me...

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto
new book at http://www.volmania.com