Subject: Re: [Leica] SHARPNESS
From: "Martin V. Howard" <marho@ida.liu.se>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 22:02:59 +0100

PSchiemer@aol.com wrote:

> Have read with great interest the continuing threads regarding
> ‘sharpness’ of lenses, as well diversions spawned from same.
>
> [...]
>
> What value a discovery the 90 Elmar is good from f-2.8 to 8, but
> really great at f-11, then falls off significantly from there?

Does it really matter!?  Half the fun is reading people's opinions of
various lenses and hoping that you're going to get a chance to try them
out someday (the lenses that is... ;)

Besides, sharpness is only one of very many lens qualities.  There is
this mad preoccupation with a single, easily specified, numerical
measure of resolving power which seems to many to be the only decisive
factor in choosing a lens.  I'd much rather welcome work on trying to
establish means of comparing bokeh between lenses/manufacturers.  I'm
more interested in contrast and tonality than sharpness.  But basically,
I'm most interested in taking photographs, or learning to, at any rate.

I recently attented a local exhibition of b&w photographs taken during
the 40's and 50's with lenses whose MTF-performance was probably worse
that of contemporary milk bottles, but they far surpassed many pictures
taken with modern, razorsharp lenses.

> In that way we wouldn’t have to use adjectives like ‘good’, ‘great’,
> ‘fantabulous’, or whatever --- it would be a mathematical reference
> --- like 80 lines per millimeter at one enlargement to the second
> power (2X). Everybody gets better, gray area fades and contrast gets
> brighter.

God help us!  I'd much rather read the enthusiastic message of someone
who's just bought a 35 year old lens and hear them use every superlative
they know, than to read that it resolved 67 l/mm at bar-code size.

I think it's time to follow Ted's advice:  Dig out yer underwear,
breathe on that lens, give it a swipe and GO TAKE SOME PICTURES!

M.

- --
Martin V. Howard, Application Systems Laboratory,     |
Dept. of Comp. & Info. Sci., Linkoping University,    | Just "DOHH" it!
SE-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden.  Tel +46 13 282 421,     +----------------+
Fax +46 13 142 231; marho@ida.liu.se; www.ida.liu.se/~marho