Subject: Re: [Leica] winning b/w combination
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 06:44:44 EST

Sorry Eric, I don't agree with you on this one.  However, I do agree with you
99% of the time.    I am an absolute fanatic on the entire darkroom process.
I have attended special classes on the handling of Tmax and it is not
consistently in the same category, for me, as the Delta films.   I have run
tests with it at overeposure/under develop, normal exposure/normal develop,
under exposure/ over develop plus combinations in between.  You will be
pleased to know that I used an R8 for all of the tests.  I can get a grainless
11x14 using Delta 100 or 400 with Xtol and I can't with Tmax.  However, I have
never used Tmax developer with Tmax film.  Also, it appears that the new Delta
3200 can be used effectively between ISO's 400 and 2000, though I am not
through with the tests.

Sorry, I just don't like Tmax film and I did give it a honest run.

Happy New Year,
Bob Bedwell

<< >Yes, I agree with you about TMax.  I just don't like the "clumps" of grain
and
 >the contrast.  Of course it could be me but I don't think so.

 I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's only bad in contrast and
 grain if not processed properly. For people used to processing more
 forgiving films, it can be a bear. I had problems with it when overexposed,
 or overdeveloped. When processed and exposed properly, only Delta 100 could
 compete for grain with 100 OR 400 TMax films.

 Don't believe me. Just wait for John Sexton's next book coming out about
 power stations. Some of those pictures prove TMax can handle a massive
 amount of contrast and give beautiful highlights and shadows. It's all in
 the processing.
 --

 Eric Welch
 St. Joseph, MO >>