Subject: RE: Re: [Leica] Minilux or Hexar?
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 08:09.41 +0100

Bud,

I am as addicted to the red dot as anyone else on this list. I preach the virtues of the M6 or M3 (both of which I have) with the zeal of the recent convert. But when it comes to P&S, I think that Leica is at best average. I did own a Minilux for a few weeks but sold it because of my frustration with its handling. I rarely use flash, so one of my requirements for a P&S is to be able to turn it off easily. On the Minilux, I had to press a small button 7 times to cycle through the various flash modes until I finally reached the OFF mode. To make it worse, every time I turned off the camera, the flash mode reset to the automatic and the whole 7-push process had to be repeated. Contrast that with the Ricoh GR1, which has a simple slider switch on the back--I slide it to the OFF position and it stays put. Exhibit 2: the aperture setting. On the Minilux, it is done with the same switch which also turns the camera off, while the GR1 has a separate aperture dial so that I can leave it at a chosen aperture and it is there when I turn on the camera with the separate on/off switch. Exhibit 3: exposure compensation, which is ironically the one setting that IS saved when you turn the Minilux off, but the camera gives you no obvious warning. Again, the GR1 is superior with its exposure compensation dial that shows me immediately what I have set.

The combination of those three things made the Minilux unusable for me, despite the excellent performance of the lens and the autofocus and flash systems that you note. Inb my opinion the Minilux is convenient only if you take most of your pictures on autoflash and do not use exposure compensation.

Nathan

From   : "Bud Cook" <budcook@ibm.net>
Sent   : 26.12.98
To     : Leica_Post
Subject: Re: [Leica] Minilux or Hexar?

I vigorously disagree with some of the negative comments about the Minilux.
It seems to me that these are just niggling complaints and ignore the
strengths of this camera.

The complaints made about the Mode control confuse me.  This is the control
for the various flash modes.  I've found absolutely no difficulty with this
control and it's not all that important anyway.  Controls that are far more
important are the focusing and aperture controls and these are quite easy to
use.

The lens is great.  It's speed permits you to take available light
photographs with good results.  It's focal length of 40mm is far more useful
than one of 28mm or even 35mm.

The flash is powerful and accurate.

The camera focuses on the first depression of the shutter release, not the
final.  This is extremely important and an advantage over some other P&S
cameras.

The exposure and focus work accurately.   Our Minilux has produced excellent
results in a wide variety of situations.

The only negatives I can think of is that the camera is heavier and a bit
bigger than  plastic P&S cameras and (like most P&S cameras) the viewfinder
isn't up to the standard of a Leica M and might be difficult to use for some
eyeglass wearers.

Bud