Subject: Re: [Leica] Help with a Nikon F/F2 to Leica M transition
From: "dan states" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 17:16:31 PST

John, as a primarily black and white shooter who rarely uses slide
film I am probably not the one to ask about metering...Usually a guess
based on experience is within a half a stop of the metered setting,
and well within the tolerance of most modern print films.  If you
don't shoot slide film often, don't let the metering become an issue.

Instead I would recommend the M6 for both age issues and the convience
of the wider angle viewfinder..Go with the M6 .85 if you want a larger
view, and you will still have a built in 35mm frame.  The M3 will
require either an accessory viewfinder witch will cost a mint, or the
"bug eye" 35's which are cumbersome to use and very rare in anything
but the f 2.8 summaron.
Also, dont forget that the M3 will be a 35+ year old camera, with all
the possible repairs that entails, and its price is inflated by
moneyed collectors whos look at cameras more than use them.

As for lenses I would skip the non aspheric 35 F1.4.  I learned from
sad experience that this lens is a poor performer at F 1.4-f2.0.  Tons
of flare and coma make any bright spot in the frame look like an
atomic blast...
Save some money and go with the older Summicron, whos F2.0 performance
is at least as good as the Summilux, and is marginally better at all
other settings.  Finally, go with the newest series lens you can find.
Despite what you hear from some corners the newest lenses ARE the best
and will help you avoid the hidden damage that can come with years of
use.  Good luck on your search, and happy holidays.   Dan

>From leica-users-admin@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us Thu Dec 24 11:56:08 1998
>Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 11:52:58 -0800
>From: "The Beal's" <jbeal@bendnet.com>
>To: Leica Users Group <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
>Subject: [Leica] Help with a Nikon F/F2 to Leica M transition
>Sender: owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>
>Dear LUG'gers,
>   I've been lurking in this mail for a couple of years, absorbing
all
>words of wisdom I can to make a successful transition to the world of
>Leica.  The latest Nikon F/F2 posting seemed relevant enough for me
>make a posting.
>   I have used a Nikon F Photomic (flag meter) for 21 years.  I'm an
>amateur photographer drawn to candid, available light, star trail,
and
>occasional landscape and black & white photography.  Candids are out
>because of the loud mirror slap, and dim viewfinders and minimum
>handheld speeds of 1/60 make available light difficult.  The above
>reasons and Leitz glass tell me I might be happier and more
productive
>with a Leica M.  With your kind assistance (particularly from
>former/current Nikon F users), I have a few questions for the group.
>   In looking for an M body, I'm torn between metering convenience
and
>focusing practicalities.  The M6 is attractive because of the TTL
>metering, which is familiar to me via Nikon, and the prices have
really
>come down.  It is also newer with a potentially longer service life.
>However, being burdened with eyeglasses, the M3 appeals to be because
of
>greater focusing accuracy and I have yet to hear much negative about
the
>M3 in this group.  My only hang-up about an M3 seems to be the
process
>of metering: is it that much more involved than a TTL system?  Is
>metering an M3 with black & white filters more of a chore than with
the
>M6?  What does an M body undergo in a CLA, and how much sway should
it
>have over a similar M without it?
>   I intend to use a Summilux-M 35mm/1.4 (not flush enough for an
ASPH)