Subject: [Leica] was:pay on publication..now photog credibility
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 14:56:02 -0800

Alan Ball wrote:
> [...]

Hi Alan,

Yes I know of what you speak on the "supplier side" and have had to reshoot
assignments this kind of person has done so pitifully, it's a shame they
call themselves photographers, let alone professional.

>It all boils down to business morality. Writing these 2 words side by side
>shows how contradictory they seem today..>>>>>>>>>>>

That's for sure! It's truly a shame that society has changed to such an
extent of mistrust, probably due to a few "bad guys" who ripped off
everyone to make a few extra cheated dollars. No morality at all.

I know there are LUG members who will remember the days when you were given
an assignment, shook hands on it,  worked your butt off to make it
successful, just so the same folks would hire you again for another
assignment. Do all this without a thought of squeezing an extra dollar by
cheating. There was a true sense of business morality simply because it
never occurred to you not to be morally correct on a hand shake.

It's a few I guess over the years no matter what profession, who have the
rip off bug that created this suspicion and paper work jungle we have to
endure these days. Sometimes to do the simplest of assignments.

It's true it isn't always the visually challenged editors who are to blame,
the photographer who sells himself as a "professional" and really has about
as much knowledge as a can of worms on how to carry out an assignment
correctly. Who  in turn creates the grief many of who are honest hard
working professionals have to cope with.

One bad apple makes it appear we are all rotten, therefore we all get the
same ...no good rotten photographers... tag line..

With some clients no matter how good your track record is, you have an
uphill battle to over come the cheating image before you even put film in
the camera....Leicas or otherwise.

There's nothing like a history lesson from an old guy to make a post
boring. If one doesn't move with the times and stay on top of all the
garbage then they should move on.

But hell it was great when you just shook hands and really believed
everything that was promised and it happened! :)
ted.

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant