Subject: Re: [Leica] Help with a Nikon F/F2 to Leica M transition
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 16:26:21 -0600 (CST)

Hi, John

Welcome to Leica.......
First, forget the M3 -- it ain't got a finder for 35.......also,
MOST of them have cement deterioration in the finder by now,
requiring replacement since Leica no longer rebuilds them....
about $500 -- the good ones, those with perfect finders and
mechanics, are fetching $800 or more -- for that you can get
a nice M4-2 or M4-p.  However, there is no mechanical advantage to
a newer M  - IF you can get a "good" one.....in fact, the newer
ones have coarser feel and looser tolerances/adjustment than the
old ones.....but it doesn't affect the pictures.

As for metering, since I "grew up" without TTL, and since my way
of working isn't supported by a broad-angle reflected meter, I
shouldn't comment.....I usually work out an exposure for the
"event" and go with that......for more precise work, I use
pseudo-Zone system approach, with selective area readings....
I prefer a studio-type incident meter for general shooting,
a 1degree spot for the latter.....your personal feelings will have
to make this decision for you.....

BTW, you're right about one thing -- I get the same results from
Leica as Nikon --AT TWO SHUTTER SPEEDS SLOWER!!! -- with 50 or
shorter lenses, I prefer 1/60 or 1/125 MINIMUM on Nikon -- but
I get a lot of more-or-less sharp shots at 1/15-1/30 on leica
(good enough for my usual slightly-less-than-8x10 print size.
You'll open up a whole new world of photography with the 35 'lux
wide open at 1/15, if you're reasonable steady!!  (yeah, yeah, I know
the 35 sucks wide open, and 1/15 ain't >really< sharp, but the
pictures sure are nice!!)

Good luck and happy holidays,
Walt

On