Subject: [Leica] Re: The finder view of an SLR
From: n.b.watson@juno.com (Nigel B Watson)
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 16:50:45 EST

When the finder magnification and focal length combine to give a
near-life-size image , perhaps this will work.  It will not be useful
with, for example, a long telephoto or a macro lens where what your left
eye sees is at an entirely different magnification.  I therefore
re-iterate: a 100% viewfinder is irreplaceable.  Anything else involves
guesswork to a greater or lesser extent.  If you contemplate a slide
mount or other frame cut-off, you can always crop loose when you compose.
 It's better than playing blind-man's-bluff and finding your work ruined
by distractions at the borders which lead your veiwers' eye straight out
of the shot, because it was more economical for your camera's
manufacturer to produce a 93% finder for the $2000 body that you had to
buy to get that 3D-hokey-bokey-magic you get from the *Leica* glass you
also paid a small fortune for.

Regards,
Nigel

On Thu, 24 Dec 1998 11:04:21 -0800 Erich Champion <nepenthe@ibm.net>
writes:

>Sure it does. Just keep both eyes open while composing, then close one
>get the focus right. With my right eye staring through the viefinder
>and
>my left eye peeking around the prism housing, I get a nice
>picture-in-picture view of the world.
>
>Erich
experience enables one to
>see
>> what's just outside the finder view of an SLR."}

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]