Subject: Re: [Leica] Help with a Nikon F/F2 to Leica M transition
From: "Joe Stephenson" <joeleica@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 14:35:20 -0700

Dear John,
Welcome to the LUG. I have both an M3 and an M6, and migrated from an slr
(Olympus). If you want to use a 35mm lens, the the M6 seems the best choice.
With the M3 you need to use an accessory viewer, and some find this
objectional as the eye must  shift from finder to focusing, and it's easy to
get mixed up in situations where the action is happening fast. Also, the M6
has a great built-in meter. With the M3 you must use an accessory
(unsightly, in the way), or a separate meter.
However, if you plan to use a 90mm lens, you would probably like the higher
magnification of the M3 viewfinder. I can't imagine using a 90mm lens on an
M6--too small a focusing area. I appears to me that you need both. Also
consider that the current prices of M6's are not so far from a really nice
M3. The M6 is also much lighter. Another option would be the HM version of
the M6, but I don't know how it works with a 35mm lens. Any M series camera
will feel like a dream after using that Nikon truck for 21 years!
Hope you get a camera and get started early in the new year.
Cheers,
Joe  Stephenson