Subject: Re: [Leica] Chemicals
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 22:53:08 +0000

Vacu-vin is indeed available at larger spirit shops in the U.S. I
have two sets - one for liquids meant to be consumed by humans, one
that stays in the darkroom.  This nifty little device will prolong
the life of the notoriously fragile Edwal Super Black print developer
concentrate - which I store in brown beer bottles - to about 7 or 10
days after decanting from the original container.  That is a
significant improvement over what happens to the stuff when it's left
in the original plastic bottle after opening.

Roy

On 22 Dec 98 at 14:00, Alastair Firkin wrote:

> The bladders of wine casks can be re-filled, and as they collapse,
> they do not take on air. This helps, but other devices designed for
> wine can be adapted. Vacu-vin is one Australian product but you will
> have an equivalent. You stopper the bottle and "suck" the air out. I
> have used both, but cannot claim to have done any scientific
> experiments on either. Works for the wine though you do not want to
> get the containers mixed up after one too many ;-)
   Roy C. Zartarian
   "A prophet is not without honor except in his
    own land and among his own people"

Written with the assistance of a labrador retriever whose chin is on the key board. All typos are his fault.