Subject: Re: [Leica] The 3D Efect
From: John Gong <jgong@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 11:55:19 +0000

Here's a statement that will give you a good laugh.  But I thought some of the folks across the pond might relate to this:

My definition of 3d  on this 2d mediumis akin to the British montage artwork whereupon cutouts of people and objects are stuck unto backgrounds which are unrelated.  Mostly done for humor in the 60's and 70's from what I remember.  But the foreground items really stand out from what they're pasted on.

The Leica lenses seem to bring out this kind of separation.  First time I noticed was when we took photographs with a 35 Summicron-R (first generation).  I've appreciated that effect with the 80 Summilux and even the current 35-70 Elmarit. Even my wife, who doesn't really care too much about my esoteric technobabble most of the time, notices these results without my prompting for an opinion.

This effect is rarely found in my Nikon gear - only my 70's vintage 50 f1.4 AI lens exhibits this quality.

John