Subject: RE: [Leica] I Object
From: "B. D. Colen" <BDColen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 13:33:30 -0500

My objection was to the context in which "happy-snaps" is tossed
> about.  It often seems to be used to disparage the photographer
> who records
> her family or the events in his life.  My point is that these pictures are
> often taken with the same care, concern, and equipment as PHOTOGRAPHS, and
> they and the photographers shouldn't presumptively be treated with
> disrespect.

As we used to say in days of yore, Right On!

I'm sorry, but the term "happy snaps," what ever and whom ever its LUG
origins, is often used here in a disparaging context.

A photograph is a photograph is a photograph. There are fabulous
photographs, works of art, if you will, taken of dying victims of battle,
and there are fabulous photographs, works of art, if you will, taken by
people of their children in the yard. Perhaps a few of you can recall W.
Eugene Smith's masterpiece, which I believe is entitled "Into the Garden."
It is one of his classics, and it was taken of his own children on his own
time.

There are hundreds of millions of 4x6 pieces of crap taken of spouses,
girlfriends, boy friends, parents, children, graduations - and, if we are to
be honest, there are hundreds of millions of contact sheets of crap taken by
professionals on assignment - photos of CEOs who wanted their massive egos
massaged, photos of industrial cafeterias, photographs of ribbon cuttings.

Come on, guys. Most of the people on this list are "amatures," and most of
what I see posted on LUGers pages are "happy snaps" - photos of friends,
family members, vacation scenery. But most of them are also photographically
first class, and most of the "amature" photographers on the list are better
photographers than the average "pro," who owns a studio in Bayone and spends
his or her life shooting high school football teams and Senior Photos.

Might I suggest that we try giving the term "happy snaps" a vacation - while
we all take the best photos we can of the subjects that are of most interest
to us and dearest to our hearts?

Happy Holidays -

B. D.