Subject: Re: [Leica] Need Help With Rome Trip
From: "Andreas Frijdal" <frijdal@tin.it>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 11:13:41 +0100

Dear Richard,

You got already lots of advice on Rome and since I am only a foreigner
living in Italy and not even in Rome, I only want to make a few remarks.

Don't get too worried about safety.  Like Peter says, Rome is like any other
town.

Do not hire a car, it's useless in Rome, rather do a lot of walking, the old
centre of Rome is not too big. My favourite area is also Campo De' Fiori,
(with an excellent restaurant called La Carbonara) and not to forget the old
Jewish area near Teatro di Marcello, Via Portico (try the restaurant
"Gigetto" or slightly more upmarket "Piperno" piazza Cenci for the deep
fried carcioffi, baccalla or a salad of puntarella). Rome is an excellent
place for eating out. Go for the fiasco di vino and trust the waiter for
suggestions if you do not understand the menu. Stay away from the area of
the Stazione Termini and the close by Piazza della Republica there is
nothing to see, too many tourists and bureaucrats (all the state departments
are there)

As a guide, I like the "Eyewitness Travel Guides - Rome"

Enjoy your trip to Rome

Andreas

ps. film is much cheaper in the US

Dr Andreas Frijdal