Subject: Re: [Leica] Shooting Transparencies
From: "James R. Nelon" <JNelon@netvigator.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 17:08:20 +0800

I've found you can't really beat a dark room (Margaritas do help), a couple of
screens, four projectors, a surround stereo system and great Leica images to try
to wow an audience. I usually show 320 slides (80/tray x 4 trays) in about 9 to
12 minutes. Obviously, we're not talking about a documentary here; rather a
visual experience which tries to deliver an impression of a narrow event such as
a visit to Turkey or Central Asia. All of the stuff is controlled by Arion
dissolves and programmers using Leica  and Schneider glass in Caramate
projectors. Any LUGers are welcome to come see in Hong Kong anytime.
Twenty-something shows on Asia await the curious. All shot on R8's and R3's.
(Sorry, no M). (Small entrance fee at the gate).

Ted Grant wrote:

> Bud Cook wrote in response to Dave:
>
> >Well Dave, it seems you've joined a dying breed:-)
> >Bud
>
> Dave's Original Message-----
> >Subject: [Leica] Shooting Transparencies
> >
> >I started  shooting some chrome film recently, initially to compare my
> >>Leica and Contax lenses for the heck of it.  Now I'm hooked. I ended up
> >>replacing my old projector with a new Ektragraphic. I bought a new screen
> >>(my old one had yellowed). I bought and shot a 50 roll brick of E100S over
> >>three months. That's more chrome film than I'd shot the previous decade.
> >>
> >>I learned a few things. First, there are few activites more relaxing and
> >>enjoyable than sitting back and viewing slides projected onto a big screen.
> >>Further, shooting chrome film -- vs b/w & color neg film --  forced me to
> >>look at things a little differently. It was a wakeup call of sorts. I had
> >>been shooting chrome film for little jobs here and there. But not for fun.
> >>I'd forgotton what a blast it is to put together and view a slide show. To
> >>think, I almost bought a scanner instead of a good projector.  I already
> >>spend too much time in front of a monitor.>>>>>>
>
> Hi Bud,
>
> As a member of the dying breed I have to say that I too enjoy racking new
> slides from the lab and sitting in the screening room. I'm either laughing
> or crying depending on the good, bad or ugly of what I'm looking at. God
> sometimes I need a big towel for the tears, then other times it's all
> hooping and hollering at how ell they turned out followed by what my wife
> refers to the "I done did good." comment. Damn I'm good!" :)
>
> When she hears that she now knows I'm happy that I managed to get some
> keepers. Assistant Sandy on the other hand sits quietly saving her
> critisism until the lights are on. "Gee they're no bad for an old guy!"
> Smiles and loads another tray.
>
> These young folks help keep the right perspective with no emotional
> attachment!:)  keeps one in touch with the reality factor of a good shoot.
> :)
>
> However, I do love looking at slides from a successful shoot! We wont
> mention the consequenses non-successful ones. :)  Gee don't you guys and
> gals have those? :)
> ted
>
> Ted Grant
> This is Our Work. The Legacy of Sir William Osler.
> http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

- --
James R. Nelon
Hong Kong, China