Subject: Re: [Leica] M and R "standard" lens
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 18:07:48 -0600

But for wide angle
lenses, I'd prefer to have a 35 1.4 and a 24 f/2 (I can dream, can't I?)
lens. Those faster wide angles are available with Nikon if you're talking
manual focus. Forget Canon, except for the new 35 1.4 aspherical. This is
another area Leica could have a major advantage. If they'd bring out 28 and
24 Summicrons. The 24, I'm sure would be too big physically on an M, so
it'd have to be an R lens.
<<<<<<<<<<

The Nikon 24 f/2 is one of the lenses that keeps an FM2 in my camera bag.
The FM2 is pretty much the same size as an M6, and the 24 f/2 Nikkor, with
a 52 mm filter thread, is quite comfortable on it. No reason a Leica
version should need to be too big for an M.

The Nikkor isn't Leica Asph quality wide open, but it is nonetheless very,
very good. And I've captured available light 24 mm handheld shots at f/2
and 1/15 second (occassionally 1/8, though I'm really not steady enough for
that) that I'd not have made with another Nikon or Leica lens. Which, for
me, is what's most important.

I agree with Eric; this is an area where Leica could have a major
advantage. For a camera which so shines at available light wide angle
photography, it seems a shame that Leica doesn't offer a comparable M lens.

Larry