Subject: Re: [Leica] Leitz-Minolta CL
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 11:56:36 +0000

Rolf Hanson wrote:

>I have the opportunity to purchase a Leitz-Minolta CL with
>40/2 Rokkor lens for $700. Both are in excellent condition.
>I am not a Leica user (yet) but have been looking for a camera for
>street photography and available light photography in jazz clubs.
>A Leica M series seems to be the obvious choice for this sort of work, but
>I am a student and cannot afford a new M6 body + lens. The used
>prices I have seen for this equipment are also out of my price
>range. Would the CL be an acceptable alternative from a user (not collector)
>point of view, or should I wait until I can afford a M6?

Nothing at all wrong with the CL. I find mine a delight to use apart from
the annoyance of a slightly sticky meter needle. My Rokkor 40/2 also
performs well, and with that lens on it's eminently pocketable.

However, it's certainly not as robust as an M Leica, and the rangefinder
has a much shorter base and therefore isn't so accurate. This may be a
problem using lenses wide open in low light levels.

>The focal lengths I would be interested in using
>are 28, 35 (the 40 would do), and 90. From what I have read, it
>seems as though the camera would have no problems with a 90/4, but
>I am wondering if there are any problems using a 28/2.8.

See my remarks above about rangefinder accuracy. Note also the CL doesn't
have 28mm frames, so you'd have to use an auxiliary v/f.

If I were in your budgetary position, I'd be looking for a good 'user' M2
or M3 and a decent hand-held meter for the sort of work you want to do.

Hope this helps.

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst