Subject: Re: [Leica] 135 APO-TELYT-M
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 07:12:14 +0100

Hi Mike,

Since buying my M3 in July, I had used 50mm, 75mm, 90mm and 135mm lenses on
it (the 135mm is a wonderful ancient Hektor). In all cases with good
results. With the Apo Telyt I noticed some softness in some of my images. I
initially put it down to camera shake, but then I ran tests on tripod,
focusing on close-range targets wide open (and also at smaller apertures).
These showed that something was definitely not right. On the M6 the same
tests produced satisfactory results, so I am having the M3 checked. The most
likely hypothesis is then the M3's rangefinder needs adjustment and I simply
had not noticed it with the other lenses due to their less exacting demands
on rangefinder accuracy. But it is also possible that there is some problem
in the way the Apo Telyt works with *my* M3. I will know after New Year.

Nathan

Michael Hailey wrote:

> NathanW,
> Just saw that you sent your M3 in for a check.  I had not tried my 135
> APO on my M3 until I saw your problem with it, had only used it on an
> M6.  I got curious, so a shot a roll yesterday and had the same results
> I had seen with my M6.  I'm curious why other lenses work on your M3 but
> not the new 135,  or are they all wide angles?  Please let us know when
> your M3 is returned.
> Good luck,
> MikeH

- --