Subject: Re: [Leica] DIY E-6 processing?
From: Byron Rakitzis <rakitzis@best.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 20:04:01 -0800 (PST)

I'm not that experienced with home E-6, but I've found the Tetenal
3-bath set easy to use. That being said, I can get my rolls of 120
processed at $4.50 each at a very professional outfit in San
Francisco (it's called "New Lab"). I bet you can find labs that
will give you a lower price.  I am not sure what it would cost for
35mm. If you can get the film back unmounted surely the price will
reflect that difference.

After doing 12 rolls or so at home, I decided to stay away from
it.  The chemicals (at least in the specs) perish quickly, and I
didn't think the savings were enough to justify the effort.
Given that prompt processing for the film is important, it's
easier for me to go to SF and get it developed while I wait.

Note that the stabilizer is a formaldehyde solution, which the
instructions will warn you is a carcinogen. I don't know how
dangerous it is in the concentrations used in E-6, but it was one
more reason to steer away from DIY.

Finally, perhaps I'm deluding myself, but the creative controls
available to me are just that much greater with B+W (choice of
developers, dilutions, pushing, pulling), and it justifies the
effort. I didn't get that satisfaction from E-6, maybe because
I didn't stick with it.

Byron.