Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: is digital photography for real?
From: Paul Schiemer <pschiemer@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 09:02:30 -0500

CCD stands for Charge Coupled Device, CPD stands for Charged Particle
Device.  MOS type chips are the best sensing chips out there.
Whereas a reject ratio of 10% DOA (yep, dead on arrival) pixels is
within tolerance for a CCD, less than 1% is acceptable for the MOS
chips.
MOS chips are manufactured in a different way, with much more control
than the CCD or CPD types.

The camera manufacturers who sport 'digital' cameras now are adapting
someone elses sensing array to their body.  Usually they are working
hand in hand, literally, with the chip maker.
Leaf, big drum scan manufacturer, has some leading edge technology on
sensing arrays, but still uses CCD/CPD chips (oh yeah, did I say they
are cheaper?)

Of the studios I know using digital acquisition most are in the business
of doing books (brochures, etc.) and need fast, simple, direct access to
images as they are being made.  It ain't 'art', it's volume.
For a niche market, digital acquistion surely hits the mark with the
guys doing product shots and the like.