Subject: Re: [Leica] Lesson on Bokeh
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 08:31:52 -0300

At 02:23 PM 17/12/98 -0800, you wrote:

>Studying the works of many old master painters is probably one of the
>greatest eye openers for a photographer to learn about many things of use
>in photography.  Composition, the understanding of light and just plain
>"feelings" that can be applied to one's photography.
>
> My favorite is Rembrandt
>for the exquisite use of light with his paintings of people and scenes with
>people. A true master of available light and making it work.
>ted
>
>Ted Grant

        RIGHT ON, TED!!

        I had a lay over in Amsterdam on my way to Rwanda/Zaire a two years
ago (seems like yesterday) and spent the day in the art galleries.

        All those "old" paintings you've seen in books, folks?  You cannot
BELIEVE what it like to stand before them in person.

        Our European friends certainly have the advantage on this account.

        I was AWESTRUCK! It seemed like after all these years taking
pictures, all of a sudden, it really made sense. The light, the composition,
the subject matter...it was stunning.

        Needless to say, I highly recommend spending time with these
paintings if you get the chance. I guarantee you will think differently
about how you take pictures.

cheers,
Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
St. John's, Newfoundland.
<http://www.straylight.ca/locke/>
"I've finally figured out what's wrong with photography.
It's a one-eyed man looking through a little 'ole.
Now, how much reality can there be in that?" -- David Hockney