Subject: Re: [Leica] M5
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 01:52:45 EST

The M5 can be a wonderful user camera.  Most important to have it serviced by
someone competent like DAG or Sherry.  Remember, these cameras are all over 20
years old now.  I have had a problem with one of mine not retracting the meter
arm all the way during shutter release, causing a shadow on the neg.  I've
also seen the opposite problem with the arm not rising into the proper
position.  I had DAG modify my chrome M5 to include the M6 framelines.  Along
with this, he cleaned the viewfinder as well.  At Photokina, Guido commented
it was the brightest M5 finder he had ever seen.

M5 works great with bigger lenses such as the 75 Summilux.  This was one of
the reasons I had the M6 frames installed.  Bigger lenses balance better on
the M5 than on the M6.  Shutter speed info in finder a great feature too.
Using the meter is very intuitive.  The 35/1.4 ASPH seems like it was made for
the M5.

Biggest drawback?  PX13/PX625 mercury batteries.

Bill Rosauer