Subject: [Leica] Re: is digital photography for real?
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 98 21:28:58 -0800

Digital photography is just another kind of film. Tri X, T-max. Plus X.
Ektachrome. Kodacolor. Now we have CCD. It's just a way of capturing
images. It does some things better than C-41 film and some things worse.

Its early versions are expensive and grainy. The million-dollar NASA
digital camera will be bested by $2500 semi-pro models within 5 years.

Most of my life I have primarily done portraits, and it is very hard to
get the kind of skin tones that portraits need on today's digital
cameras. But in the electronics industry the push to the future is
relentless. Something good will come. It's not here yet, but I can
smell it.

But there is no substitute for good lenses, tripods, and a good eye.