Subject: Re: [Leica] Lesson on Bokeh
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 14:23:16 -0800

Isaac Crawford wrote

>I just went to the Van Gogh exhibit in Washington DC and got a real lesson
>in bokeh... Most of his stuff showed that you don't necessarily need
>super-razor-sharp images to get the idea. Of course, in his case he did it
>rather well...
>
>Anyway, just thought I'd pass on the advice to not only check out other
>photographers, but painters as well... it can be a real eye opener!>>>>>>

Hi Isaac,

Studying the works of many old master painters is probably one of the
greatest eye openers for a photographer to learn about many things of use
in photography.  Composition, the understanding of light and just plain
"feelings" that can be applied to one's photography.

They didn't have strobes, flash on brushes or any fancy hot lighting, they
just understood the value of existing light that they saw by and how to
make it work most effectively in their painting. My favorite is Rembrandt
for the exquisite use of light with his paintings of people and scenes with
people. A true master of available light and making it work.
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant