Subject: RE: [Leica] Rowell, etc.
From: "Khoffberg" <khoffberg@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 19:06:53 -0800

Gib

A small point - I believe it was another writer who commented on Potola but
I still very much appreciated your commentary on that image.  I've heard
Galen talk about taking that picture (one of his favorite) and it's kind of
a fun story inasmuch as he hustled his butt off to get himself in a position
to put the rainbow just where it is.  Credit his personal vision for not
settling for the image that originally presented itself.

As to the rest of your commentary, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your point
of view.  IMHO it's exactly the sort of thing we should be discussing.
Thanks for taking the time to type it.  I guess I'm just not far enough
along in the development of my artistic sensibilities to be anything other
than enthralled by a very large percentage of Galen's work.  I'm probably
least taken with his book "Bay Area Wild" probably in large part because
they're so familiar to me (I live here).  Conversely, the images from exotic
locales and difficult circumstances thrill me.  Maybe this is part of the
point you're making.  Having not been there or done that, I can more easily
be swept up in the photographer's vision (in this case Galen's).
Conversely, having lived in the Bay Area for nearly 20 years, I view his
local images with a different sensibility.  Make sense?

Cheers
Kevin Hoffberg

<snip>
I'm going to stop here because I feel as if I've been moving around on the
outskirts of too many large philosophical and art-theory issues. Probably
not a good idea in this medium. I hope this helps clarify what I meant
rather than just lengthening the obscurities.

Gib