Subject: Re: [Leica] Luggers are dangerous
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 20:12:26 EST

Ted and Peter:

I can confirm that what you say is true.  I have used my Noctilux on perhaps
300 shots and it would be my guess that only 5% of them were taken at F1.0.
Fast films are getting better and better which reduces the need for the F1.0.
You are correct that an F1.4 or F2.0 would serve as well.  However, I don't
plan to get rid of it.
I am afraid that my wife will see it and think that it is a gemstone and want
to hang it around her neck!

Bob Bedwell

<< Peter K. Wrote:
 <<<<<But if your photography is generally done using F4 through F11, you're
 wasting your money.  Might as well save the difference in $ and put it
 toward your next lens of a different focal length.>>>>>>>

 Hi Peter,

 That's always been my point to folks when considering a Noctilux.  If you
 aren't prepared to shoot it wide open or a bunch of film near that f 1.0
 you might as well buy one of the others.

 The Nocti after all isn't a couple hundred bucks, so if one has one they
 better be using it for what the lens was made for, beautiful low light
 images where others fear to tread or with the background so far out of
 focus it creates a complimentary ethereal background, particularly in
 colour.

 Or using slow films and high holdable shutter speeds.  Both situations
 should produce a look, that if others are not shooting in a similar
 fashion, should give the Noctilux owner quite a different collection of
 photographs or slides.

 I believe to own a Noctilux and not work with it wide open or nearly wide
 open as often as one can is tantamount to a crime. And a terrible waste of
 money better spent on a slower lens.

 ted

 Ted Grant
 http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant >>