Subject: Re: [Leica] Evercolor
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 11:32:50 +0000

From: Gib Robinson <robinson@sfsu.edu>
>By the way, while I was impressed by the Evercolor printing process,
>I was struck by a number of what, to my eyes, are the limitations in
>Rowell's photographs.  First, he uses Velvia exclusively which means
>he accepts heavily saturated landscapes.

The vast majority of his older work (which includes his most famous
images) was shot on various Kodachromes. But for what it's worth,
Rowell often works at high altitude and under alpenglow-producing
conditions, in which colors really *are* very saturated, even
without Velvia. I'd guess that Rowell's switch from Kodachrome to
Velvia has as much to do with the latter's longer longer exposure
scale (in particular its ability to hold highlight detail) as with
its saturation.

- -Alexey
Alexey Merz | URL: http://www.webcom.com/alexey | email: alexey@webcom.com