Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Which third lens? 24 or 50
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 13:42:07 +0100

Bob (and Fernando)

I must second the enthusiastic comment regarding the 21mm Asph. I was at
first frightened by the idea of dealing with a second viewfinder. In
reality, it does simplify life by giving an extremely easy (and large)
way of composing the image. I never had any parallax or framing problems
with it, even with quick 'n dirty shooting. The 21mm allows very easy
pre-focusing because of its gigantic depth of field. So at the end of
the day, one only has to check the exposure once in a while in
viewfinder nr 1. That is all. It would be even easier to use if the M
provided aperture priority automation of course.

The resulting images are extremely 'lively' (focused action all over the
frame), sharp (of course) and totally immune to flare or distortion.
This is the lens that makes me believe some of the rap regarding the
'superiority' of Leica designs: compared to the 20mm Nikkor I used
previously, there is a real, obvious, quality leap in the final images.

It is a pleasure to use, a fun way of including people in the forefront
of the image without anyone noticing, an easy way of making a boring
subject look unique and spectacular. All in all, maybe the most useful
lens in my M setup....

Alan