Subject: Re: [Leica] Luggers are dangerous
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 09:25:02 +0100

Alan,

Yes, the LUG is indeed harmful to one's bank account and Lucien is one of
the more dangerous characters around. I too have benefitted from his
generosity by borrowing his M3 for a few days back in the early summer when
I was considering whether to buy one of those; also he lent me his Lager
books recently and let me shoot some pix with his Noctilux some months ago.
Most recently, Lucien faxed me a sheet from a Dutch dealer who had a mint
Noctilux at an excellent price and was located near Maastricht, only about
1h15min drive from here; so, yesterday I went there, took a look at the
Nocti and bought it! Thanks Lucien!!

Having said that, when my wife complains about the cost of my Leicas, I
point out to her that the value of the equipment in my camera bag is roughly
equal to the value of her jewelry, and the jewelry doesn't take pictures ;-)

Nathan

Alan Ball wrote:

> A public word of thanks to Lucien, who took pity of my situation after I
> traded a fully satisfying and versatile Nikon line-up against a lonely
> R8 (+ old 50mm Summicron lent by the shop). Lucien has lent me his 100mm
> f2.8 apo-macro, with elpro AND 2 x Apo-extender. This afternoon, this
> setup has been assigned to its first paid activity (not exciting, but
> paid). Would need around 50 such orders to pay for that lens...
>
> After thanking Lucien, i would like to warn all the innocent M luggers:
> never attend a Leica demo tour, and never plan a local lugger meeting in
> the vicinity of a Leica dealer. Never even touch any R hardware.
> Furthermore, never accept any Leica R gear in loan from any smiling LUG
> pusher: addiction is immediate and seems irreversible. It is a very
> dangerous and costly addiction: crime rate near Leica dealers is soaring
> here in Brussels...
>
> M was hard enough to justify. Now, with this monstruous new marvel at
> arms reach, I feel, well, happy ;-)
>
> Never, never should have subscribed. Never !
>
> Alan
> Brussels-Belgium

- --
Nathan Wajsman