Subject: [Leica] Re: RE: Leica glass
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 23:16:52 -0800

My information, about Leica having other glass makers make "Leica" glass
came from both folks at Leica NJ and folks at Solms. I don't know if Leica
makes glass themselves. I'm simply under the impression that they do from
conversations with Leica folks. But they did say, specifically, that
companies such as Hoya make "Leica" glass, for Leica, and cannot sell it to
anyone else. It is Leica patented glass.

This is all I have to say on this. Erwin or some other knowledgeable person
will have to answer further. Although I satisfied with what I know from the
Leica folks.

Jim

At 06:53 AM 12/16/98 +0100, you wrote:
>Jim,
>
>From the few litterature sources that I have, it seems that Leica does
>not produce any glass, though it has used a very small scale in-house
>production unit in the past, mostly for tests. Nothing in thoses sources
>ever stipulates that the glass supplied to Leica by makers such as
>Schott and others (Hoya's name usually pops up here) is glass made to
>order for Leica alone. I would suppose that Leica buys glass using
>specifications that are in the current catalogue of the maker...
>
>You can catch on an earlier LUG thread on the matter through:
>http://lq.corenetworks.com/lq/view.cgi?o=0s=1&b=1&q=hoya+AND+glass&sp=&mid=
40261ln=leicausers

>Alan
>
>Jim Brick wrote:
>>
>> I'm under the impression that Leica formulates, mixes, melts, and makes
>> almost all of their own glass. They farm out what they do not have capacity
>> for.
>>
>> Jim
>>
>> At 04:13 PM 12/15/98 -0800, you wrote:
>> >I don't believe Leica does its own glass melting.  Even companies like
Sigma