Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: [NO Leica] Legal Links, Apology, Anus, the viewer's eye
From: "Joe Stephenson" <joeleica@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 17:22:44 -0700

Dear Paul Schiemer, and others who were interested in this hot topic,

I have enjoyed this discussion, although, like several other LUG members I
was a bit outraged about the Tina's experience. It must feel like a
violation to think that such bizarre, sick individuals are drawn to one's
work. Actually, a lot of the people who travel these dark links are probably
police officers of some sort. I hope they are paying attention.
But extreme cases like this help us to be more aware of the maker/viewer
relationship. Usually we make a lot of unstated, unconscious assumptions
about the eye and mind of the viewer. We tend to assume that the viewer will
bring a perception to the image that is not so different from our own. This
operates at many levels, and photos are viewed at different levels over
time. I have noted that my responses to photos change over time, and I
notice that people "see" photos quite differently.
This could turn into a long post with a small connection to Leica matters,
so I won't draw this out. Thank's to Tina for sharing her unnerving
experience, and I hope someone is keeping an eye on the dangerous criminals
that prey on and damage our children.
Happy surfing,
Joe Stephenson