Subject: Re: [Leica] 35 with M3 goggles
From: "Bud Cook" <budcook@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 17:20:06 -0600

Michael,
It's not so much a question of which lens is better but a matter of taste.

I recently traded a beautiful 35mm RF-Summicron-M for a new fourth version
35mm Summicron-M.  The new lens has more contrast, has a more neutral color
transmission and better performance wide open.  The new lens is perfect in a
sterile sort of way.

You can expect the same differences between the RF-Summicron and a new 50
Summicron.  The older RF-Summicron will probably be a bit warmer than your
50.

That said, some of the best Kodachromes I ever took was with the old
RF-Summicron.  It produced surfaces like sand, pewter, etc. with a beautiful
rendition.  I wish I had kept it.

The RF-Summicron is going to be cheaper than the RF-Summilux.  Probably
several hundred dollars worth.  Unless you plan to use the extra f/stop it's
not worth buying the Summilux (IMHO).

Bud