Subject: Re: [Leica] What should I charge?
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 15:50:07 -0800

John McLeod wrote:

> As some of you know, I'm not a professional photographer, but I do
> occasional assignments on request.  If anyone out there would be willing to
> provide me with some basic guidance, input, hourly ranges, whatever, I'd
> sure appreciate it.

John,
In the final analysis, what the market will bear.  I don't think a $250
minimum for each session is unreasonable.  Depending on the market (in
SD you can get hack gripNgrin shooters for $35/hr) you might have to
adjust.  Remember travel time, wear and tear on equipment (and possible
breakage).  I would also markup materials 50% or more to cover some of
your runaround, plus the unused film you'll have to buy and eat.  There
are, of course, friendship and personal support discounts you can apply
as appropriate.

And then you will be able to write off your purchases this year as
business expense!!  Don't forget.

donal

- --
Donal Philby