Subject: Re: [Leica] Model Release for Steve McCurry's photograph
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 12:20:52 -0800

Eric,

>>At least here in America, the First Amendment (to the Constitution)
protects advertising as well. <<

The First Amendment protects commercial speech (which most, but not, all
advertising is) but to a lesser extent than what it would call "pure speech"
such as political or religious expression. Exactly to what lesser extent is
generally defined on a case by case basis. BTW, I've this McCurry photograph
used as a billboard in Japan to advertise a National Geographic store. A few
others here besides me might also remember that it was once a cover of the
old (and sorely missed) American Photographer magazine.

Bryan