Subject: RE: [Leica] I for one am glad Kodachrome is dead or dying.
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 10:45:37 -0600

>Ektachrome that blows it away....or why is it that so few pros use it?  Look
>through the magazines and you may be surprised to find that K25 and K64 have
>died, its just that no one told Kodak, or apparently some LUG members.

For the last time, Kodak has not updated Kodachrome for some time. Why
would anyone bother to compare them at this point? The technology promises
to put Kodachrome at the top of the heap for sharpness, grain and archival
quality. And Kodak can tweak color and saturation any way they want. They
could come out with warm, saturated and extremely accurate versions if they
want.

Kodak has been going through a lot of changes recently, and they seem to be
anxious to accommodate pros wishes. With the new mini K-Lab, Kodachrome
processing has the potential to be as fast (almost within an hour or so) of
being as fast as E6, once the machines are in place.

And they are right. A film can be overly saturated, and thus not accurate.
Velvia is the perfect example. It's beautiful with most subjects, but also
garish by some people's standards. Saturation is a matter of taste.

Kodachrome almost died. It's still on its last legs. If Kodak wakes up to
its potential, which they seem to be doing, then it could once again become
the king of color.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Ted Kennedy