Subject: [Leica] 'My baby is American made'
From: leica@olemiss.edu
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 08:53:35 -0600

 segawa@netone.com 12 Dec 1998 23:28  wrote:

> What does "Made in USA" mean, anyway? These days, that the EPA and OSHA had
> a say in how things were done! That's a good thing, I think. One of my first
> summer jobs was working at an electronic equipment factory, and the
> assemblers, mostly middle-aged women, were originally from just about
> everywhere but the US of A. Some barely spoke English. They did good work.
> What does "Made In Germany" mean these days? Dunno-maybe that the Turkish
> guest worker worked under Green Party-approved conditions :-)

Right now, most experts would concede that the top 20 percent of the
American work force has skills to sell.  But the bottom 80 percent of
the American work force is not up to world standards in their education
and skills. Some studies rank the productivity of the average American
worker as low as 16th among the 16 most industrialized nations. The
average American worker is not stupid or lazy. The underlying problem fo
which downsizing is only a symptom is the failure of American public
schools. There is no way an American worker can avoid competition from
workers overseas who may be willing to work harder longer hours for less
pay.

Kirk Turk
Leica@olemiss.edu