Subject: [Leica] Chrome M Lens
From: "Lee Yan Zhan" <yzlee@cyberway.com.sg>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 17:43:26 +0800

Dear LUGGERs,

I was looking at my Chrome lens today of different vintages :

Summicron 35/2 #2066933
Summicron 50/2 #3613612
Elmarit-M 90/2.8 #3806118

I noticed that both summicrons although 20 years apart has similar chrome
coating which looks more grainy but tougher - less prone to minor
scratches.  On the other hand, the Elmarit looks very fine, less grainy but
washed out.  On the build-in lens hood, the areas closer to the aperture
ring looks shinier than the rest.  Is there a change in chrome coating or
did I just got a lens that has defective coating??

BTW, when I bought this lens new 2 months ago, I found a 5mm hairline
scratch on the lens hood.  I was told by the local agent that its common
because the Leica lens quality control folks are quite rough!!  I took it
since the price was good and I like the serial no.  If BIG BROTHER Leica is
listening, I would like to hear your side of the story!!!

Cheers,

Lee
Fellow LUGGER from Singapore