Subject: [Leica] Focusing screens
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 22:04:12 -0500

On Sat, 12 Dec 1998, Gary D. Whalen wrote:

>  I would appreciate any user info on the different attributes and
>qualities of the 5 available focusing screens for the R camera.  I have
>heard conflicting reports concerning the type of screen and the use of
>the camera.  ie  macro, telephoto, architectural etc.  What screens are
>you using and for what purpose?
>
> Thanks.
>
>  GDW

Gary,

I use a modified matte/grid viewscreen in my R4sP bodies.  The modification
is a Brightscreen treatment which is helpful when using slower lenses like
the 400 f/6.8.  I use this screen with all lenses from 35mm Summicron-R to
560mm f/6.8 Telyt and with the 60mm Macro.

The Brightscreen treatment makes the screen a bit less contrasty but not
nearly so much as the Beatie Intenscreen (which I returned after 5 minutes'
use).

Doug Herr
Sacramento