Subject: [Leica] Kodachrome and Leica Lenses
From: "Jack F. Matlock" <jfmatlo@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 10:41:20 -0500

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998 19:26:46 +0000
John McLeod wrote:

"I agree with you Tim.  My old Kodachrome 25 (and even 64)
slides are still
my favorites.  Rich, natural, and deep color.  New Kodachrome
still looks
natural to my eye, but not as deep or rich, especially the 25."

My experience exactly.  Some subjects, of course, can benefit
from poster-like strong color, but it is anything but natural to
my eye.  In addition, my experience is that Kodachrome (in all
its past versions) is remarkably stable.  I have some slides
going back to the early 1940s with color as vibrant (it really
was poster-like then!) as when I got them back from the
processor.  All my Ektachromes, Agfachromes and Fujichromes have
shown noticeable deterioration after 10 years (in the case of
Ektachrome, even fewer).

Of course, the dyes used in the other "chromes" may well be more
stable today, but if I live another decade or so, I don't want
to find out that that assumption was incorrect. I have lost too
many pictures that are important to be personally to fading and
radical color shifts.

Furthermore -- I find that even the new T-grain based films
cannot match Kodachrome for fineness (actually absence) of
grain.

As for the color balance, that can easily be changed in the
printing or duplicating process.  Ditto color saturation.
 Actually, my main problem with duplicates is controlling the
increased contrast and (usually) more intense color saturation.
 It's a bit hard for me to understand why these should issues in
the selection of a film since they are so easily modified, so
long as the image detail is there.  It always will be in a
properly exposed, properly focussed Leica image.

So -- this is one fellow who will continue to stick to
Kodachrome whenever he considers the pix important to him, and
wants them to last.  If I am going to project them a lot, I'll
make a copy on Ektachrome duplicating film -- and the copies are
almost always more snappy (i.e., contrasty and color intense)
that the Kodachrome original.  But using duplicates for
projection preserves the original image.  For me, the bottom
line is that I can control color balance and color intensity,
but if a slide has faded, with noticeable color shifts, it
cannot be fully restored since some colors will have faded more
than others, with the loss of portions of the image required to
bring them back into proper balance.

Ultimately, of course, the color balance and saturation are
matters of taste.  There is no correct or incorrect view of the
matter.  It does strike me, though, that some seem to get
emotionally attached to a given choice -- whether of a film, or
camera, or developer, or whatever -- and lose their objectivity
of judgment.  But that's their privilege.

Jack Matlock