Subject: Re: [Leica] American cameras
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 20:30:52 -0600 (CST)

Dearest Nigel and group,
I have long lamented the lack of a vintage or current "consumer"
photo-optical company in this country, as I'm only really interested
in 35mm.....I get enough 2-1/4 and 4x5 "exposure" at work...pun.

I use American ham radio equipment nearly exclusively, as well
as American (and mostly homebrew) tube audio equipment........

Several years ago, in a long-forgotten article, I read that
"Leica" tolerances were routinely maintained in ANY U.S. machine
shop, in fact their tolerances were about halfway between what
we call "normal" and "fine" machining in our (excellent) machining
industry.....likewise, many fine optics (again, to "Leica" tolerances)
have been produced in this country.  (compare a mid-fifties Commercial
Ektar to the average Summitar, for example).....

We have a huge military contracting industry in the U.S., and have
been relied upon for many years to defend the "lesser" countries
in times of crisis.....but I DON"T want to go into international
politics.....

For many years, we have built the finest medical instruments in the
world, with sophistication that brings wealthier folks from around
the globe looking to our medical community for their treatment...
unfortunately, many of our lesser-monied residents go without this
treatment.....but that's political again.....

The answer is simply economic.  Mass consumption of 35mm equipment
is a post-WWII phenomenon.  After the war, German equipment was
MUCH cheaper than we could produce (Ektra) with our incredibly
high standard of living.  Japanese equipment was 60% of the German
price.   We could have EASILY produced the Nikons here, for sale
at (circa 1954) $1500!!  Or the M-3 at $2000 (1954). We already
had many of the finer minds from northern Europe living and working
in the photo-optical industry here!! (I worked for one of these
immigrants.)  Our workers would not work for the wages that would
allow this equipment to be produced at a price economical for
mass consumption.  The military, on the other hand, as well as
the medical community, could and did afford our efforts.

I've watched Nikon quality slip to woeful lows (and prices rise at
a similar rate) as Japan's standard of living increased....then
they started "farming out" the assembly of their products aimed
at the mass market.  Leica has tried production in lower priced
(labor) markets, too, but their prices have risen at a rate
fast enough to keep the quality (somewhat) higher.....In l972,
a Leica M-4 was about 50% higher than a Nikon, and a good value.
Now........???

If you doubt the ability of Americans to compete, quality wise,
in ANY market, look at the demand for Collins and Ten-Tec radio
gear or McIntosh, Marantz, Conrad Johnson, Audio Research, etc
audio equipment in Japan and Europe.....They pay 2-3 times what
we do for OUR gear!! -- and they can't get enough!!

It's just that in the "golden years" of fine 35mm (mid fifties
through the 70s), we couldn't build the gear at a price point
that would be practical AND maintain our standard of living
for our workers.  I fear that the day may come that we WILL be
seen as a cheap labor company, as Honda and Toyota have already
built plants in the US.....at the rate we're going, WE MIGHT
be building Nikons and Leicas soon...........bear in mind that
the folks who BUILT this crap often will NEVER be able to
afford to buy it, or the free time to use it that many on this
list seem to enjoy.  Although I don't make a lot of money (I
shop VERY wisely, usually for equipment that needs work)  I
at least have a job that allows me tons of time to play with
the stuff.....I'd NEVER want to be an hourly (assembly) worker
in a camera factory!!! -- I've already heard the horror story
of someone who worked in repair for Leitz, NY -- I'd be
TERRIFIED to send my gear in!! (Sherry, as I don't trust myself
as I once did, YOU get my next M-curtain job -- NOT Leica!!)

I realize this is a ramble -- but I've put MUCH thought into this
very question for years now, and I'd like to read other's opinion
of my position on these explanations.

Sincerely,
Walt

On