Subject: RE: [Leica] Still and motion pictures
From: Jeffrey Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 10:01:05 -0500

	Art,

		What do you mean by an accurate interpretation?  I believe
that all interpretations are subjective and idiosyncratic, accurate only to
the interpreter.  Consider that what comes before or after the "moment" may
be irrelevant to or contradict the message of the photographer.  What then?
Do we accuse the photographer of lying? Of trying to manipulate our emotions
with a "false" moment?  I think that in the case of the still photograph, it
is the photographer's right to present the moment and message she or he
wishes us to interpret, and that it is not incumbent on the still
photographer to provide "context."  I know that this isn't the position you
are taking,  but what we're really discussing here are the rights and
responsibilities of artists to convey a message, whether it is through still
or moving images.