Subject: Re: [Leica] 75mm/1.4 SUMMILUX experiences anyone?
From: n.b.watson@juno.com (Nigel B Watson)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 09:01:04 EST

Pity it wasn't a Carmen Miranda outfit...it might be worth something
today ; )

As to the 75...I tried one in anticipation of buying and found that it
was, in and of itself, a *magnificent* lens performance-wise.  However I
passed on purchasing because of the following:
1. Weight and size.  To me it is the antithesis of why I use the M
system.
2. The hood obscures the bottom right [almost] 1/4 of the frame. Ok where
all but central subject is out-of-focus, i.e. wide-aperture portraiture;
otherwise a pain. In its defence, the 35/2 ASPH does the same thing and I
use that lens...however, once the 35's hood is removed the entire frame
is visible.
3. E60 filter size, would mean one more [hard to find] set of filters in
my bag.
4. Focal length too "in-between" 50 and 90 to replace both.  For close-in
subjects it isn't a major problem; just a matter of a couple steps fore
or aft.  For subjects at a distance it took more footwork than I always
had room for.
The above may or may not have any bearing on your shooting style;  I
strongly advise a hands-on session with the lens before making an
irrevocable purchase.  The *images* from the 75 are above reproach; you
will love them.

Regards,
Nigel

On Wed, 09 Dec 1998 18:07:55 -0800 Jack Bowdle <jbowdle@redbrick.com>
writes:
 I went a little crazy
>in the seventies whilst living in Japan and traded the whole lot for
>a--don't hate me too much--Miranda outfit.
>>Tell me, anyone had experience with the 75mm/1.4 lens?  Let me hear
>your story.  Thanks!

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]