Subject: [Leica] Post M4 build quality - M2 and M6 compared
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 10:59:02 -0000

Mark Hammons wrote:

>I thought the main thing that has not been the same since the M4 was
the
>engraving on the top plate -- no longer engraved but painted/stamped.
>But then again I've heard it said that the film advance mechanism on
the
>later cameras is not as smooth as on an M3 or M2.

The top plate on the M6 is a zinc casting, I believe, so the
"engraving" is presumably created by the casting process. There is a
photo in the current M6 brochure which shows a tray of "raw" top
plates as they look before being plated.

I've used the M2 since the early 1970s, but the arrival of the
"vulcanite disease" and the desire for an internal meter led me to buy
a Wetzlar M6 (I rebelled at the idea of having a Leica with a totally
blank top plate!). It has only just returned from a post-purchase
meter repair, so I've yet to use it (being caught up in pre-Xmas work
schedules). However, I can't say I see a significant difference in
build quality betwen the old and newer cameras. The film advance
mechanism on the M6 seems *slightly* rougher than on my M2, but feels
identical with that of a like-new condition M2 which I know to have
seen little or no use. I'd guess that any additional smoothness in my
old M2 is due to 40 years of use having removed any residual roughness
on the load-bearing surfaces of the gears which make up the advance
mechanism.

The silver chrome on the M2 has a duller softer sheen than that on the
M6, but we're comparing a 40 year old finish with a 10 year old
finish, and chromed brass versus chromed zinc.

The only area where I can see an appreciable difference is in the
finder. Compared to my old M2 the bright lines are much dimmer, and
their brightness is very dependant on eye position - I have to keep my
eye carefully centred in the eyepiece, or one side of the bright line
frame dims out. The visibility of the rangfinder spot is also very
dependant on eye position; if the eye is nor centred, the spot becomes
brighter and its contrast falls away dramatically.

I've since checked with other M6s of different vintages and they all
behave similarly. And my dealer says he's noticed the same
eye-position dependancy, so it's not something related to my eyesight
or spectacles.

Discussing this with Marc James Small recently, I said "The published
cutways may look the same, but Leica/Leitz has obviously done
something which has affected the finder optics."

Since the return of my M6, I've done a few more comparative tests
under different lighting conditions. The frames in the finder of my M2
are not eye-position dependent, though the rangefinder spot is - but
to a much lesser degree than on the M6.

However, I've since tried the finder of a like-new condition M2 built
the same year as mine, and the visual clarity of its rangefinder spot
and frames seem independent of eye position. So this phenomenon could
be a matter of how well the viewfinder/rangefinder was set up, or how
much it has drifted out of perfect alignment with years of use.

Regards,

Doug Richardson