Subject: [Leica] Re: Batteries/reliability
From: drodgers@nextlink.net
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:00:59 -0800

George:

You wrote:
>>I think this may be due to the fact that Leica users tend to
be more experienced and more discerning photographers.  The high cost of
the equipment certainly has a lot to do with it.  When paying premium
prices for equipment, Leica users expect to get premium quality, and
there is nothing wrong with that.<<

You are exactly right. There's nothing wrong with being a demanding
consumer.  It drives product and process innovation in consumer focused
companies. I'm impressed by the products Leica has introduced recently. I
think they're very consumer focused. As a consumer I'll always demand more
and I'll want it for less.

Time is extremely valuable today. Inconvenience is less acceptable than in
the past. Manufacturers are pressured to introduce more complex products,
faster. New designs are built to tighter tolerances. At the same time
competition is high. Margins are harder to generate. Companies can't afford
to overtest. They can't afford excessive field testing, especially if the
product is to be kept secret. They rely on manufacturing processes which
are state of the art, some new and untested. They rely more on third party
suppliers. Some control is diminished.

Early production runs of radically new designs contain some risk. Should we
be surprised that there were problems with early R8s? Anyone recall the
introduction of the Nikon F4?

The greatest impact of late is that information is more widespread.
Unfortunately, so is disinformation. Fortunately, as you mention, consumers
are discerning as well as demanding.  If you ask me, Leica is succussful
because they have remained true to thier mission statement, which is to
manufacture the highest quality optics available. Fortunately, that has
remained the same.

Dave