Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Re: KINOPTIC lenses
From: "Raimo Korhonen" <raimo.korhonen@pp2.inet.fi>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 21:01:48 +0100

Nope - flare is caused by internal reflections in the lens and by adding a
filter - any kind - you add two more air to glass surfaces and thus more
flare. The cure is obvious - just apply good multicoating to all surfaces -
but it is easier said than done.
Raimo
photos at http://personal.inet.fi/private/raimo.korhonen
nyt myös Kameralehden juttuja suomeksi

- ----------
> From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
> To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> Subject: [Leica] RE:  Re: KINOPTIC lenses
> Date: 08. joulukuuta 1998 22:48
>
> I suspect that a multicoated B+W UV filter would indeed improve upon the
> Kinoptic lens flare susceptibility. It would be worth a try.
>
> This flare problem is not a fable. Many years ago, John Knight
(Leicaphile,
> upstate NY) was about to buy a Kinoptic and I warned him about the flare
> problem. He tested the lens, didn't buy it, and thanked me over and over
> for the heads-up.
>
> Jim
>

> At 02:44 PM 12/8/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >Jim- This is a serious question: If the lenses have shitty coating, but
are
> >otherwise incredible, what would happen if one put a well-coated UV
filter -
> >B&H or Heliopan - or Leica - on them? Wouldn't that solve the problem?
Or am