Subject: Re: [Leica] 100+135+180 vs 70-180
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 08:12:55 -0600

>Even if the 70-180
>is optically superior at 180mm and f/4 than your 180 Elmar at f/4, if you
>handhold both of them at even 1/250 sec., the image with the Elmar will
>very likely be sharper.

In my experience, after using a 180 Elmarit for years, that is not true.
It's just as hand-holdable as any of the lenses you mention. I have taken
sharp pictures with it at 1/30 sec. hand held. It is SO heavy that it
dampens movement. Of course, I brace myself against doorjambs, window
ledges, my knees, whatever I can find, but even freely supported, I can do
just fine. Sure there's some losses, no big deal. Film isn't the most
expensive part of the shoot. I am. :-)

Even at minimum focus this lens is amazing.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch