Subject: Re: [Leica] How often CLA
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 17:14:25 -0400

Tina:

I have found that the overhead compartments of Air Planes have too much
vibration for cameras.  About a year ago, I put my camera bag in a well
stuffed overhead and I think the steward had shifted the bag onto its side
so that the unpadded top was in contact with the bin.  The next day when I
put a flash on my Leica R4 I noticed the flash shoe was loose on the
camera.  The vibrations must have loosened the screws up.  Of course, the
screws are under the top cover, so it had to go to Leica to have the top
cover taken off and the shoe tightened up again.

This vibration in the planes, trains, and automobiles may be your problem.
I now make a concious effort to never place the camera or bag against any
non padded surface in these vehicles.  In other words, it goes under my
seat in the plane and on the carpet of the trunk or the floor of a car.
For example, if you has a camera bag that did not have good padding and
placed it in the back of a jeep, a lot of the vibrations would make it
through to the gear.

 When I took my M6 and some lenses on a long trip with my motorcycle, I had
them in an Billingham Alice bag which I placed on top of a pice of foam
padding I put in the luggage that strapped to my gas tank.  This way I was
shure the foam between the Alice and the tank would absorb the vibrations.
In Washinton D.C. photo on my web page you can see part of the Alice bag
sticking out of the tank bag.

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/trip.htm

Regards,

Robert Stevens