Subject: Re: [Leica] How often CLA
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 22:29:56 -0800

This will be an interesting topic, I think.

My M3 went 30 years before a CLA.  For the first three
years, it had about 60 rolls of film per month through it.
For the next 28 years, it had only about three rolls of film
per month.  It went in for a CLA because the film counter
broke (the camera was still usable and I used it to get
critical shots for political testimony, but you did not know
how many frames you had shot from the indicator).  The
repair consisted of replacing the film counter and a CLA.
They also adjusted the x-synch.  (I would not have known
that it was off since I had only used the x-synch for the
first two years and that was with a strobe and 30# battery
pack.  (There is a reason I hate flash).  I also am now
using a MR meter on the camera (great upgrade from an MC
meter).

I recently acquired an new M6 body.  I switched the film in
mid-roll from the M3 to the M6 and could see no differences
in the exposure on the two cameras.  (MR vs TTL).  I am
still using all of the 30-year-old lenses.

If the M6 performs like the M3, my heirs should be very
happy <grin>.

Regards, Bill Larsen  ohlen@lightspeed.net