Subject: [Leica] Re: Old Enlarger Lens (and printing in general)
From: drodgers@nextlink.net
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 15:20:20 -0800

Noel

You wrote:

>>Can anybody tell me if it is any use - would it be good enough to
warrant putting it onto an enlarger today?...Focotar   f = 5cm   1 : 4.5
It is a screw mount of approx. 40 mm I am also interested to know how old
it might be.<<

Your lens probably predates the late '60s. I believe by that time everyone,
including Leitz, used millimeters rather than centimeters in labeling.

I'm skeptical of older lenses. The newest enlarging lenses are so good. But
I have a clean, haze free, 5 cm f4.5 Focotar that proves older lenses can
still perform remarkably well.

I use three enlargers, a Focomat Ic (35mm), a Saunders w/Dichro head (MF
and 35mm) and an Omega w/cold light (4X5). I own 50, 105 and 135
El-Nikkors, each less than three-years-old. I also own an 80/4 APO
Rodenstock, which I'v for both 35mm and 2 1/4. I've had Schneider
Componons, a 50/2.8 Bessler Color Pro (wish I'd kept it), a Fujinon 50 EP,
and several others (not worth mentioning). My favorites for 35 are the
50/2.8 El-Nikkor on the Saunders and the 50 Focotar on the Focomat. The
latter gets most use.

I prefer condensor illumination for 35mm. I think it enhances apparent
sharpness a tiny bit. The difference between condensor and diffusion
illumination is minor, if you ask me. It varies depending on film/developer
combination, exposure, density, etc. In some cases there might not be any
practical difference. The actual quality of the enlarger is far more
important. Not all enlargers are created equally. Some people say dichro
illumination will lessen the effects of dust. While I agree somewhat, dust
is dust, regardless of the light source. Still, I generally prefer a dichro
light source for 2 1/4 format (The Saunders vs a MF Condensor head I have
for my Omega D.) FWIW, I shoot HP5+, TX, and Delta 100 in either format,
APX 25 in 120, and TMZ in 35mm. I use Xtol developer for nearly everything.

I've compared the Focotar (@ f6.7) to the new El-Nikkor 50/2.8 (@f4) on the
Saunders. The difference was not worth mentioning. Except that the
El-Nikkor obviously faster, and may be  slightly easier to focus. If I
didn't have a Focomat, I wouldn't go out of my way for a Focotar. A like
new 50/2.8 El-Nikkor can probably be found for around $100. But if I had a
Focotar I'd certainly use it and evaluate it. My mistake with the
aforementioned Bessler Color Pro is that I threw it in with an enlarger I
sold before giving it a good look. I assumed it was an inexpensive triplet
sold with a starter enlarger kit. Looking back at the few prints I made, it
was a stunning performer.

It's interesting that Leitz/Leica had such a comprehensive product line. We
talk about their line being narrow. For the most part they engineer and
build only the best. My Focomat is probably 30-years-old -- one of the last
made with gun metal grey and a filter drawer. I have a Valloy that is older
still. They are a joy to use. They're extremely practical in design.
Construction is first rate. Hold the Focotar alongside any newer enlarging
lens. You'll find they're almost overbuilt. Sadly, I think it's difficult
to do that with great succuss today.

Dave