Subject: [Leica] Re: Colour balance of other manufacturers' Leica lenses
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 22:19:46 -0000

Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> wrote;

>Sorry... ALL of Leica lenses exhibit the same color balance
>characteristics, regardless of origin.

Fascinating information! So if manufacturers' design
philosophy/technique does not control colour balance, what does?

When Leica adopts another manufacturer's lens to add to its product
range, does it ask for changes to made to the optical design or
coatings to tweak the colour balance?

If there is a *magic* quality to Leica lenses, how does that become
transferred to the Leica-badged version of another manufacturer's
design?

Excuse me while I scamble into my asbestos protective suit! This
posting might attract some flak ...

But I'm curious - I'd love to know what changes (if any) other than
the new mount/cams and external Leica cosmetics are made to "adopted"
lenses. For example, are they built/tested to a higher specification
than the manufacturer's normal standard?

Regards,

Doug Richardson