Subject: Re: [Leica] your opinion about G2
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 1998 18:55:21 +0100

B. D. Colen wrote:

> If nothing else, the G2 is living proof that it is possible to produce
> extremely high quality optics - Leica quality optics - at a fraction of the
> cost at which Leica produces and sells them. If Zeiss/Kyocera can produce a
> 21 2.8 autofocus lens - with a viewfinder - that is at least as good as the
> current Leica 21 - without a viewfinder - that can sell in the US for under
> $1000, perhaps its time Leica woke up and smelled the economic coffee...

B.D.,

That day, Leica lenses will look and feel like G lenses
and I will be really sorry about that.

A 21/2,8 without lens-hood.
A 28/2,8, 35/2, 45/2 with symbolic lens-hoods.
A 90/2,8  with a screw in lens hood (but effective).
And all of them without a focusing ring. ;-)

When I have a G 35/2 in one hand and a M-35/2 Asph. in the other,
I know why Leica lenses are more expensive.
(Or why the G are cheaper)

But I agree with you about the quality of the optics (except the 35/2)
even if Contax don't offer 24/2,8, 35/1,4, 50/1,4 & 1, 75/1,4, 90/2
and 135/3,4.

That Hologon look great by the way. (but at a price)

Lucien